• Season 2 of Secret World Legends is now live with Dawn of the Morninglight!

Please avoid posting any story spoilers on the forums. If you must share info or ask for help with a mission, be sure to use a [spoiler] tag!

What's for Dinner?

yep, needs a tank build or at least an interrupt, Scrumpy is an ambush boss :)

we really should have a zombie boss called Scrumpy loitering about an abandoned brewery

My niece's partner turned 50 and we had a small family dinner - big bash will be after covid, hopefully next summer. She's also a great hand at cakes :) So, duck liver mousse, assorted wines and bubblies and lassagna.

20201029_104643.jpg
20201029_104804.jpg
20201029_104727.jpg
20201029_104745.jpg
20201029_104824.jpg
20201029_104849.jpg

Today I made for the U.S. holiday Thanksgiving, which we always make for that and Christmas for the last 20 years, Cranberry Chutney. We use it instead of the traditional cranberry sauce/jelly that is typically used. Originally getting the recipe from the mother of a girlfriend of mine, this amazing chutney has cranberries, apples, pears, golden raisins, orange marmalade, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and clove in it.

chutney 1.jpg
chutney 2.jpg
chutney 3.jpg
chutney 4.jpg

This looks amazing! So glad to see someone treating the cranberry with respect! Instead of popping out the gelatinized mass of goo onto a plate to be ignored by everyone and eventually tossed. This looks like actual food. (I might have a teeeeeny tiny bias against canned cranberry sauce. Just a teeensy one though)

This looks amazing! So glad to see someone treating the cranberry with respect! Instead of popping out the gelatinized mass of goo onto a plate to be ignored by everyone and eventually tossed. This looks like actual food. (I might have a teeeeeny tiny bias against canned cranberry sauce. Just a teeensy one though)
Yeah, I don't believe I have ever liked that gelantinized goo either.

That looks indeed like it would put some taste in otherwise pretty boring cranberrys. And i have to agree with Kitarra - outside of deserts/bakery gelantine will ruin almost everything :D

This is a bit late I know but here is what I did for Thanksgiving this year. Since this was a Covid year we decided to do something small and intimate. I did however slightly miss with the pork crown roast...I asked for one for 8 people....this was for more like 12. It was the first time ever I have cooked a crown roast and only my third time ever cooking pork! I did it on the BBQ and fortunately it turned out delicious. The other dishes, from the bottom: cheater fondant potatoes(well browned cause we like them that way), caramelized corn, Brussels Sprouts with dried cherries and pistachios, and a nice salad with goat cheese and berries.

The pork was marinated in a puree of whole tangerines (with the skin), garlic, jalapeno, ginger, honey, salt, oil, and sage, I then BBQ'd it over a medium flame with the burner beneath the roast set to warm. I also placed woodchips and a tray of liquid right beneath the roast. It was served with a spicy apple sauce.

51DpiFz.jpg

And for dessert I decided to go the easy route and did a burnt sugar salted caramel fondue. It was a huge hit. Sound fancy but really all I did was burn sugar on the stove, poured in some cream and added salt. Took like 15 minute. Took me longer to lay out the dippers. If you are curious the favorite dippers of the evening were: pretzels, apples, pineapple, and oddly enough marshmallows which one would think would be too sweet but played really oddly well together.

Tav5GIi.jpg

Wob3eqE.jpg

View attachment 1184

And because I love you all, here is the recipe:

Blender Salsa Recipe
This was taught to me by a Mexican exchange student who said that it was his family’s daily salsa. No need to measure. Everything is too taste.

Ingredients:
Handful of Cilantro
3-5 ripe tomatoes
Jalapeno/Serrano/Habanero pepper
Lime/Lemon juice
Garlic
Salt &Pepper

Method:
Throw all of the above into a blender/food processor/nutria bullet/food mill and crank till mixed to your desired consistency. Taste. Adjust. Blend. Repeat as necessary to make your perfect salsa. I don’t use onions but you could. I line mine really well pureed but you don’t have to. Pour into a glass jar and stick in the fridge. Keeps for a good week. Will lose heat. If you miss it, add Sriracha.

Taco filling My Way
This is something I have evolved over time and this is how I prefer my taco filling but adjust yours to taste. This particular batch is vegan but doesn't have to be.

Ingredients:
1.5 pounds Meat or meat substitute of choice *
Garlic
½ Bag of frozen corn
1 can beans of choice, drained
Taco seasoning (or a mix of cumin, coriander, chipotle chile powder, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper)
Blender Salsa (or salsa of choice)

Method:
Brown your meat of choice in a little oil. Add garlic to taste. Add corn and beans, I prefer black beans. Sprinkle with taco seasoning or your favorite substitute and add salsa. I like the salsa in the taco mix itself because it adds a nice flavor and keeps the meat moist. I generally end up using anywhere from a half cut to a cup of salsa for this amount, it should be moist but not wet.

To Serve:
I generally make this buffet style. I put out all the fixings; cheese, avocado, cilantro, salad greens, fresh tomatoes, more salsa, and warm tortillas and let people serve themselves. This works great at parties. It’s very little work for a biiiiig payoff.

Oooooor this can be use for meal prepping. This makes a BIG batch. You can serve this mixed up with rice and extra salsa, or over salad greens for a taco salad. Or even rolled up in an enchilada and baked. Or just freeze half.

*Ok…so truth time, while this is great with beef and all…I love this even better with meatless crumbles even though I am only a vegetarian part of the year, I find this tastes so much better with vegan crumbles because they absorb all the flavors sooooo much better. The really soak up the salsa and taco seasoning and retain them much better than regular beef. Seriously. Try it. My favorite are made by Quorn. Afrinkingmazing!
Beautiful pic! This sounds much like how I make tacos and salsa :)

I came to the forums to try to find info on how to use the Exchange to get some Aurum (I'm confused, lol) and of course, got distracted by the pics of food! :D

Today I made for the U.S. holiday Thanksgiving, which we always make for that and Christmas for the last 20 years, Cranberry Chutney. We use it instead of the traditional cranberry sauce/jelly that is typically used. Originally getting the recipe from the mother of a girlfriend of mine, this amazing chutney has cranberries, apples, pears, golden raisins, orange marmalade, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and clove in it.

Your chutney looks delicious! I make my own cranberry relish/sauce as well, not really a chutney. I don't add apples, pears, or raisins, but I do add the other ingredients you list. Seeing yours, I might have to take mine to the next level this year! :)

Why next year? Make some chutney and eat it when you feel like having chutney! I've never understood the point of keeping some foods to a set point of the year (bar hot/cold food when it's too hot/cold outside). =b

Your chutney looks delicious! I make my own cranberry relish/sauce as well, not really a chutney. I don't add apples, pears, or raisins, but I do add the other ingredients you list. Seeing yours, I might have to take mine to the next level this year! :)
Let me know if you want the recipe :)

Back