• Season 2 of Secret World Legends is now live with Dawn of the Morninglight!

Please avoid posting any story spoilers on the forums. If you must share info or ask for help with a mission, be sure to use a [spoiler] tag!

What's for Dinner?

How does one get moose sausage and how do you make a ragu out of it?
Kitty! Long time! XD
I have no idea in your part of the world. Oregon? Washington state? Or obviously Canada? It's not terribly uncommon in Sweden, different kinds and different spice mixes, and can be a bit iffy to use as moose is quite gamey

Just cut it into bite-sized bits and add to a standard ragu:
  • I did a slow sautéeing of red peppers, onions and whole crushed garlic cloves in olive oil
  • add the sausage bits, lemon zest and white wine
  • add crushed tomatoes, sugar and salt
  • let it simmer for at least a half hour, taste and balance the flavour with coarsely crushed black pepper, oregano and thyme - and/or, eventually rosemary and/or laurel and/or crushed juniper berries. It all depends and varies acording to the spicing and flavour of the sausage, which is why it's important to let it simmer for a bit before adding spices

Giardiniera, at a new place close by where I'm moving to. Ranks about 3rd in my pizzometer for pizzerias in the city. Once they get their licence for beer and wine, maybe it'll jump to second place. For some unfathomable (or ineffable) reason, even the best nerdy gourmet pizzerias forget matching the drinking experience to the eating experience and caary just Moretti or Peroni, or some designer variation thereof
20200206_154559.jpg

Kitty! Long time! XD
I have no idea in your part of the world. Oregon? Washington state? Or obviously Canada? It's not terribly uncommon in Sweden, different kinds and different spice mixes, and can be a bit iffy to use as moose is quite gamey

*finger waves* I do visit the forums so I am around but I do miss chatting with you before raids. I am in California. And I have no idea where I can get moose. No where around here, that's for sure. I can get some game meats from Amazon. Hmmmm must investigate further.....you are making me want to try moose ragu!

That's what I mean, you'd have to trekk the Pacific ridge northwards, until you find a moose. Or a bear. I guess bear ragu would be great too (i've only had it as stew). Maybe dried as jerky (natural, just salted, without spices? if you know someone in Oregon? If it's jerky you'd have to rehydrate it over night to soften it and desalinate. It'd be different certainly, but good all the same :D

Miss those chats too! XD

Bear tastes weird. I have tried it once. I didn't care for it. I have eaten elk. That was sorta like deer. I need to find a moose dammit! And a horse. I have never tried horse...or kangaroo.

horse is great meat, very tasty - weirdly enough, it's got more flavour than donkey or zebra. Roo is also very good, although I've only had it as jerky

Horse meat is illegal in California. Really, most of the US. Same with donkeys and I would imagine zebras. It's not illegal to eat just sell. So technically I could buy a horse, kill it and eat it but I can't sell the excess meat. I have tried roo jerky but it's not terribly representative of what real roo tastes like. I want a roo steak. Dare I ask where you got zebra? (Having images of you in your rebreather jumping the fence somewhere and pouncing a live zebra in the middle of the night. Highly entertaining in my head.)

Horse is allowed here, but nobody carries it, they're afraid of the public's reaction. For zebra (and bear, camel, gator, beaver, ostrich, etc) there was a specialty butcher that carried them, bu he retired. There's a couple of delikatessen that have game, but now only internet, get it sent from specialty butchers in either Stockholm or Gothenburg. the son travels often with the job, so I usually time it for when he's there, as he also likes to buy nice game meats too. Mind you, zebra's not worth the cost, too bland. Camel, moose, horse, deer, roe deer and reindeer are the most flavourful I'd recommend :)
well, beaver is the most flavourful of all, so much so I'd say it's funky

Last edited:
Happy, happy Pi Day!!!
The first really cooked dish in my new flat and sort of kitchen. It works if I keep it simple. Anyway: bacon, broccoli bloomlets, leeks and cheddar. Couldn't fin the pepper. Hiding from me. in a box, probably under several other boxes. So, it's a smidgen on the mild side, but soooo goood to be able to cook again! :DIMG_20200314_200006_734.jpg

IMG_20200322_184612.jpg

And because I love you all, here is the recipe:

Blender Salsa Recipe
This was taught to me by a Mexican exchange student who said that it was his family’s daily salsa. No need to measure. Everything is too taste.

Ingredients:
Handful of Cilantro
3-5 ripe tomatoes
Jalapeno/Serrano/Habanero pepper
Lime/Lemon juice
Garlic
Salt &Pepper

Method:
Throw all of the above into a blender/food processor/nutria bullet/food mill and crank till mixed to your desired consistency. Taste. Adjust. Blend. Repeat as necessary to make your perfect salsa. I don’t use onions but you could. I line mine really well pureed but you don’t have to. Pour into a glass jar and stick in the fridge. Keeps for a good week. Will lose heat. If you miss it, add Sriracha.

Taco filling My Way
This is something I have evolved over time and this is how I prefer my taco filling but adjust yours to taste. This particular batch is vegan but doesn't have to be.

Ingredients:
1.5 pounds Meat or meat substitute of choice *
Garlic
½ Bag of frozen corn
1 can beans of choice, drained
Taco seasoning (or a mix of cumin, coriander, chipotle chile powder, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper)
Blender Salsa (or salsa of choice)

Method:
Brown your meat of choice in a little oil. Add garlic to taste. Add corn and beans, I prefer black beans. Sprinkle with taco seasoning or your favorite substitute and add salsa. I like the salsa in the taco mix itself because it adds a nice flavor and keeps the meat moist. I generally end up using anywhere from a half cut to a cup of salsa for this amount, it should be moist but not wet.

To Serve:
I generally make this buffet style. I put out all the fixings; cheese, avocado, cilantro, salad greens, fresh tomatoes, more salsa, and warm tortillas and let people serve themselves. This works great at parties. It’s very little work for a biiiiig payoff.

Oooooor this can be use for meal prepping. This makes a BIG batch. You can serve this mixed up with rice and extra salsa, or over salad greens for a taco salad. Or even rolled up in an enchilada and baked. Or just freeze half.

*Ok…so truth time, while this is great with beef and all…I love this even better with meatless crumbles even though I am only a vegetarian part of the year, I find this tastes so much better with vegan crumbles because they absorb all the flavors sooooo much better. The really soak up the salsa and taco seasoning and retain them much better than regular beef. Seriously. Try it. My favorite are made by Quorn. Afrinkingmazing!

Kittyyyyy!!!I love this! will try for my next taco session!
Not a great friends of cilantro, but if it's too much for me I'll try with parsley instead - that should do pretty well too :D

IMG_20200331_194238(1).jpg

Isolation cooking continues. Just because I am stuck at home doesn't mean I can't eat well.

Sweet and Spicy Shrimp
I always have shrimp in the freezer. This is my goto recipe for shrimp. It is so fast that once you get the hang of it, you can make it in half an hour, start to finish. All measures are approximate. Adjust to your taste.

Ingredients:
½ to 1 pound Shrimp (I used argentine pink shrimp but use what you have)
Juice of 1 orange
2 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of hot sauce or to taste (I use Sriracha)
2 teaspoons honey/agave nectar/golden syrup/maple syrup (I don’t measure I just squeeze)
Juice of half a lemon
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Cooking fat of choice (I use ghee)

Method:
Peel and clean the shrimp. I like to marinate them in a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice, some salt and pepper and garlic. Just for a 10-15 minutes while I go around preparing other stuff.

Place fat of choice in your pan and heat over medium heat. Once hot, drop your shrimp into the pan. Sear on one side till nicely browned, Like 1-3 minutes. Flip. All the hot sauce, orange juice, and honey. Stir in with the shrimp. The sauce should start reducing immediately and should be nice and thick by the time the shrimp is done. If it is not, remove the shrimp to your serving plate and reduce the sauce till syrupy. Pour over shrimp.

Serve over something that will catch the sauce. It’s good!

OMG Garlic Cauliflower
This recipe was kinda an accident. I LOOOOVE garlic. I put it in everything, in large quantities. So I end up making everything sorta garlicky but default. But every once in a while, I make something that even I consider only for serious garlic lovers. These are the recipes I call OMG Garlic <something>. The reason for this is that the first thing that anyone says about these recipes is “OMG, Garlic!” This is one of those recipes. Because the cauliflower is so mild the combination of cooked and raw garlic carries through in a really unexpected way. Of course, you do not have to do it this way, but if you seriously love garlic, this is the recipe to try.

Ingredients:
1 large head cauliflower
6 large cloves of garlic – divided
4 oz good extra sharp cheddar (or Parmesan)
¼ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Remove the core and leaves from the cauliflower. To a large pot, add a 2-3 inches of water. Add 3 cloves of garlic and 2 tablespoons salt. Boil or steam the cauliflower in this pot until very tender. If you don’t have a steamer basket, you can place the cauliflower on an overturned bowl so that it’s out of the water. Or use your favorite steaming method, just make sure to include the garlic.

Place the cooked garlic, raw garlic, the cauliflower, sour cream, and cheese into a food processor or blender. Blend till smooth. Add a little of the boiling water to thin out if need be. Salt and pepper to taste.

If you don’t want to instantly kill all vampires within a 10 mile radius, reduce or eliminate the raw garlic. The raw garlic is not for the faint of heart.

Serve.

This is brilliant, Kitty! If I can get hold of decent shrimp, not a simple task in sweden, shrimp it will be, love that recipe :)

The OMG Garlic cauliflower sounds like something I'd love, will have to test.
I use to do a staple of tapas, champiñones al ajillo, which is basically champignons (or portobello, same thing) in exactly the same style as your OMG Garlic:
chop the portobello or champignons into bite-sized chunks (or use baby champs for the visual effect)
chop garlic very fine
sweat, and then light-brown the champs in olive oil and a drop of honey
add the garlic and a smidge of piri-piri or sriracha tossing and stirring: don't let the garlic brown
withdraw and sprinkle with chopped parsley
sea salt (maldon flakes if possible) and coarse ground black pepper to taste, ofc :)

for a milder garlic flavour, just crush some garlic cloves and let them draw flavour in warm olive oil for a while, withdraw them, add honey and heat it up before tossing in the champs

Last edited:
OMG I love mushrooms. I am going to have to try that. And OMG garlic <something> appears to be sorta a series. I have OMG Garlic! Shrimp. And OMG Garlic! Lamb chops with a garlic mint sauce. Because garlic. All the garlic!

As well as a so-called "Vaudois steak", which is basically a slice of Vaudois sausage (a specific kind of sausage not unlike the Morteau sausage), set in a pork chop, lined with bacon.
photo_2020-04-27_20-40-55.jpg

Back