• Season 2 of Secret World Legends is now live with Dawn of the Morninglight!

Please avoid posting any story spoilers on the forums. If you must share info or ask for help with a mission, be sure to use a [spoiler] tag!

TSW What's in a name?

Fleta

Master Spreadsheeter
Staff member
Some folks and I were discussing usernames tonight and how we came up with them. I know some people use parts or the entirety of their real names but for everyone else, what inspired your username(s)?

Fleta (i.e. Flee-tah) is a character in Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept series (one of my favorites). In the series, she's a unicorn that can transform into a girl and a hummingbird. She's also fleet of foot. Fantasy doesn't quite fit into the Lovecraftian TSW but I didn't know that when I created her.

MadLyric was the nickname of my Ventrue from a Vampire the Requiem LARP. Her real name was Madison and she liked music.

MadKallistica - (Kallistica was taken for some reason) Kallistica was the name of my City of Heroes character.

Haven't decided what to name my Lummie alt when I make one.

Eridanae "Vidanae" Viridi

Eridanae: A sublte change on the name Eridanus, The River. Eridanus is an astronomical constellation and contains Achenar, one of the flattest stars known due to it's rapid rotation. It is also the constellation that the fictional planet of Vulcan can be found :)

Viridi: Is a customisation of "Viride" which is latin for green.

The user name Vidanae is just a mix of both first and last names :)

Simple! ;)

MadLyric was the nickname of my Ventrue from a Vampire the Requiem LARP. Her real name was Madison and she liked music.

MadKallistica - (Kallistica was taken for some reason) Kallistica was the name of my City of Heroes character.

Haven't decided what to name my Lummie alt when I make one.
Well that does beg the question of how you came up with those names originally. ;)

TheKurtRussell was a refference a friend made to my hair when it got longer, I'd lust kind of slick it back a bit and it looked very similar to my current forum pic. He'd say "Need to get a haircut again Jarred, starting to rock The Kurt Russell."

Loved it, and it stuck. I played a ton of, and still do a little, Call of Duty and it became my XBox Live handle, followed me to PS and now every game has a Kurt Russell.

Well, 'Bellosh' is a joke from Raiders of the Lost Ark.
The evil French archaeologist is named Rene Belloq, and when Indi asks Sallah who the head archaeologist for the Germans was, Sallah says 'he's a Frenchman. They call him Bellosh'. The joke there being that in the language of Cairo ending a word in 'Q' is a 'sh' sound, whereas in French it's an 'och' sound. Yes, it's a very dry joke. :)

As for 'Schwimmwagen'...frankly, I tried to get the most obscure names I could think of, and they were all taken. Architeuethis (Gian Squid)...taken. Every WW II tank name (US and German)...taken. I finally tried the Schwimmwagen, an aphibious German jeep, and took it when it wasn't already taken.

Vidante comes from Esperanto. I think it is roughly translated as "seeing future". I don't speak the language but always had a fondness for it.

I usually use Bakunawa the Philippine dragon lord of the underworld because it's an unusual name, but someone already took it. So went with Mikunawa instead.

Well, mine (Ahkronn) has no larger meaning, and I only found out that there's a city with a similar name way after I came up with this name.
It was used for the first time in another Funcom game - Age of Conan - in an attempt to get a sounding Stygian name (kind of egyptian name).

My alt's name - Musca - was used for the first time in Warhammer online. It was my gobbo name, and derives from the word Muscaria (as in Amanita Muscaria), since gobbos are grown through spores/mushrooms (like the squigs and orks). I found out latter that it means Fly (the bug) in Romanian (iirc).

Ok where do i begin ....lol Streakz was more of an ALT name for me in AION since Starkz was taken so i just messed around and bam streakz was created ...now her full name is Emily or emile Streakz Baptiste and thats actually from my toon in Anarchy Online Emile Starkz Baptiste (which is one for the characters from Farscape ...i love that show)
My ALT KYcowboy ....well i will leave that to your imagination ....
My 2nd Alt Medalla ...well his Full name is Jose Medalla Cuervo after the tequila and a beer called medalla

But the best is Avelody when she sent me this song lol it rocks

Well, I like names that have something to do with astronomy, constellations, nature etc. And they should be mysterious and neutral. So, that's the story:)

One of my old guilds was called "Autumn Leaves". Continuing on the theme, the Japanese name for "Autumn Air" is Shuuki. Like many Japanese words, it has several meanings. It can also mean "a cycle", "a period of time", "the aniversary of a death", or "a bad smell" I am happy with all those possible meanings.

Mine is amost the same as Ahkronn, made the name up over 20 years ago for D&D, found out later its a city in NJ

All of my toons are literary references. I normally name all my characters from books I enjoy.

Charissa or "Rhissa" is the name of a character in a Katherine Kurtz book. She is a power-hungry sorceress and I've been naming characters after her since the late '80s. I would have named my daughter Charissa but Jcool would have none of it.

My rarely seen alt xxSoulcatcher is from The Black Company by Glenn Cook. Also a power-hungry sorceress.

Just to change things up a bit, my 2nd alt who has done next the nothing other than acquire her name is Georginaa is a succubus from a Richelle Mead series.

Years ago.... many.. cause I was younger and wild and abit "crazy"........ Some just called me..... "schizo!" (not the paranoid type tho)
and another friend of mine would always say to me as a greeting... 'Skizzle ma Nizzle' instead of my name (Scott)..

Someone combined the 2 things when we happen to all be hanging out together and decided 'Skizzo' would be a good name for me... so now I just use many variations of that.... in TSW: Skizzia, Skizzy, Skizzie

I have been going by the name Pegasus (a winged steed) since 1971 first as a CB handle then on the net and in games. But since then other have been using it so I added my intials MD and try to get some form of pegasus in the games charater's name. ( like one of my alts - name Medusachild pegasus sprung from the blood of medusa so can be considered her child)

Back