• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Season 2 of Secret World Legends is now live with Dawn of the Morninglight!

Please avoid posting any story spoilers on the forums. If you must share info or ask for help with a mission, be sure to use a [spoiler] tag!

Guide Grouping tips for new players

Collaborative Grouping Guide For New Groupies!

Group Requirements;
  • We don't care about your IP. Half of us don't even believe that it's meaningful. We HAVE to care if you are allowed by the game to do the dungeon or mission, and there's a bit about glance reduction that can be important, but otherwise we're all here to play.
  • If we've called for volunteers on the LoMSGlobal chat, then geez, yes, you can come along. If there's still room.
Skills and gear;
  • If you use AR at all, please equip Unveil Essence at some point. Your healer will thank you.
  • If we are in a lair with persistent damage effects, the Asibikaashi's Hoop Gadget will save your life. Even the red version isn't THAT expensive. just equip it and don't mess with it.
Group Etiquette;
  • Stop apologizing. You have as much right to play this game as anybody else.
  • If you don't understand something that's going on, ask questions.
  • If this is your first time on a lair raid, dungeon, and/or regional boss, ask questions.
  • If you screw up something, yes, say "I'm sorry."; but don't beat yourself up over it and we'll figure out how to fix whatever problems there are.
  • You probably didn't cause the Total Party Kill. But even if you did, well, everybody you're playing with has done that at least once.
  • Stay on task as much as possible....going afk to see to something irl is perfectly understandable and we all do it, but please don't go afk unless you have to and not just chatting elsewhere, and please let the group know if possible.
  • If someone needs a minute to take care of something else don't get upset about it, just hold up, and don't rush to spawn lair bosses (etc) until you are sure everyone is ready and with you.
  • If you are here as part of a group, have group chat on. If you here as part of a raid have raid chat on.
  • If you given instructions like "stay close" and "don't wander off" follow them.
  • Finally: ...AND THE STONE. You'll figure that one out when the time is right

Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far, this is very useful! Please keep em coming especially on the following,

*What different skills, buffs, boss damage areas look like and what they do (purple circle, green circle, swirling orange circle!). What to avoid and what to seek?

*Skills that can cause issues (whether that's clogging up the screen or stealing aggro from tank)

*Skills that are most useful in groups and when to use them

*Best gadgets for grouping

*Anything else that would be useful!

Obviously mechanics can be explained during the dungeon/raid etc so this is just to arm new groupies with a little foreknowledge.

All contributions can then be collated into this post. Thanks!

Last edited:
Some general tips:

• Stop apologizing. You have as much right to play this game as anybody else.
  • If we've called for volunteers on the LoMSGlobal chat, then geez, yes, you can come along. If there's still room.
  • If you don't understand something that's going on, ask questions.
  • If this is your first time on a lair raid, dungeon, and/or regional boss, ask questions.
  • We don't care about your IP. Half of us don't even believe that it's meaningful. We HAVE to care if you are allowed by the game to do the dungeon or mission, and there's a bit about glance reduction that can be important, but otherwise we're all here to play.
  • If you screw up something, yes, say "I'm sorry." Don't beat yourself up over it and we'll figure out how to fix whatever problems there are.
  • If you use AR at all, please equip Unveil Essence at some point. Your healer will thank you.
  • If we are in a lair with persistent damage effects, the Asibikaashi's Hoop Gadget will save your life. Even the red version isn't THAT expensive. just equip it and don't mess with it.
  • You probably didn't cause the Total Party Kill. But even if you did, well, everybody you're playing with has done that at least once.
  • When the tank says 'stay close' and 'don't wander off,' LISTEN.
  • Finally: ...AND THE STONE. You'll figure that one out when the time is right.

Some very good tips there Morgan thank you :) It can be hard for new players to get out of the mindset they may have experienced in other MMO's; being called out for small mistakes, booted from groups for not having high enough dps etc. Its so nice to be part of a community that doesn't do that! I will stop saying sorry, promise haha :)

I have one personal bugbear applying to grouping in general and phrased simply it is "Be where you are".

In other words if you are here as part of a group, have group chat on. If you here as part of a raid have raid chat on. If you given instructions like "stay close" and "don't wander off" follow them - they're given for a reason.

The other part of this is stay on task. Nothing gets me more annoyed in a raid than having someone left behind and I think "oh they've crashed" (because lets be honest, that's hardly uncommon!). We all stop of course but eventually I see a long comment in Sanctuary or some other channel because instead of staying on the job, they're chatting elsewhere. This is simply disrespectful and is so easily avoidable!

Be where you are.

I actually disagree with Elal there. There's no need to rush. (One of my biggest pet peeves is people immediately trying to spawn a Lair Boss right after I say "Inventory, one sec.")
If someone needs a minute to take care of something else don't get upset about it, just hold up.
People have kids, or get sudden phone calls they have to take, or see someone asking for a Cabal invite in chat and having to post the CoC and then wait for that person to answer whether they've read it or not... or one of a thousand other reasons to need a moment.

That said, if you're gonna be more than just a minute, do please let your group know.

This post has really helped me. I had a great guild in AO - but even then, I always felt I didn't want to hold people back through inexperience. I will take any offer of grouping that you guys feel I won't hold you back on and do my best to learn to do well whilst not falling into the sorry, sorry, sorry, I'm RUBBISH! trap.

I actually disagree with Elal there. There's no need to rush. (One of my biggest pet peeves is people immediately trying to spawn a Lair Boss right after I say "Inventory, one sec.")
If someone needs a minute to take care of something else don't get upset about it, just hold up.
People have kids, or get sudden phone calls they have to take, or see someone asking for a Cabal invite in chat and having to post the CoC and then wait for that person to answer whether they've read it or not... or one of a thousand other reasons to need a moment.

That said, if you're gonna be more than just a minute, do please let your group know.
There's no disagreement between us here. If people communicate in group/raid chat I'm 100% on board with chilling. Breaks to use endless dists also fine with. If we're on a dungeon grind though, it's a grind so some batching is preferred.

That's not what I'm talking about though. My reference to Sanctuary is critical. Holding up the raid because you are engaging in a political discussion in Sanctuary is rude, no way around that.