• Season 2 of Secret World Legends is now live with Dawn of the Morninglight!

Please avoid posting any story spoilers on the forums. If you must share info or ask for help with a mission, be sure to use a [spoiler] tag!

TSW Tokyo: Grind Guide, New Player Info, General Discussion

Kalinai

Captain AWOL
Donator
This is something I've been putting together since I started my Controller grind. It's mostly centered around Issue 9 content, and even after Issue 10's release, I'm probably going to stick with that - Issue 10's content isn't as repetition-friendly, in my mind. Since the two areas are almost completely separate, Issue 10 content would go at the tail end anyway.

I make no claims that this is THE most efficient route or the best way of doing things, but what I found to be the best for me with what information I had available. This is more to present a solid plan for initial use as well as open the table for discussions, commentary, and improvements.

Happy grinding for those 1.9 controllers!

/Kalinai

------
New Player & General Information

Tokyo Access

To access Tokyo (Kaidan) you need to
  1. Have finished the story mission up to and including Transylvania.
  2. Do the story mission guiding you to Venice Sunken Library. (After running back to your faction HQ for Transylvania debriefing and stuff you should eventually get a phone call when you run around in Agartha. You do not need to buy any issues to get this phone call.)
  3. Acquire the (fake) Council Seal:
  • Either by getting 80 Aureus of Initiation (oreos/blueberries) by doing scenarios. Hotel scenario is accessible to all without having to buy any issues.
  • Or get access to the fake seal (costs 1 million pax) by doing the Immersion investigation mission from the Sidestories DLC pack (costs 960 Funcom points before any discount).
Once you buy the Seal the story mission should update. Then, if you have the Tokyo DLC, the next time you're in Agartha (or something like that) you should get a new phone call which through some detours will send you back to the Venice Library and eventually Tokyo.

(Plagiarized word-for-word from Ribara, thanks Ribara!)

Preparations

My biggest recommendation to prepare for Tokyo is to go to the Marketplace and buy 1-4 QL-0 "AE Capacitor" items. Doesn't matter too much what % value they have, the key is to HAVE THEM. AEGIS damage is dealt as a percentage of the damage you deal. That percentage is determined by the Version of your Aegis Controller (1.0 - 1.9), the mods from your AE Capacitors, and the Damage section of the AEGIS Skill.

Initially, without capacitors or skills and a 1.0 controller, you will be dealing 5% of your overall damage. Meaning, to take down a 200-point AEGIS shield, you'll have to deal 4000 damage. This makes Tokyo mobs very difficult on the outset. With four QL0 2.0% Capacitors, you're up to 13% (the equivalent of a 1.9 Controller) - that same 200pt shield will only require 1,540 damage to knock off. The difference is PALPABLE.

Also check marketplace for three specific Modules: Weakening, Penetrating, and Critical. Penetrating is probably the top dog, and is both the rarest and the most expensive on the Marketplace (most Tokyo veterans have it, and modules are unique, meaning they cannot pickup and sell any extras that drop). Critical shows up rarely and is good for crit-centric builds. Weakening is underestimated - it only deals 30 AEGIS damage, but it does it every time you apply weakened. With a Blade survival build, that's every. hit. There plenty of other modules, but these three stand head and shoulders above the rest.

Finally, recommend being in at least QL10 blues, preferably NM gear. Tokyo is hardest when you first arrive, due to low AEGIS stuff. This makes tackling it in low gear a daunting notion.

Build

For Tokyo, you're going to need to change your build. I STRONGLY recommend using a melee build with two PBAOE Builders. Due to how Aegis works, you'll want to have spammable attacks for each weapon to break AEGIS shields, and having a second builder makes this so much easier.

Leech builds aren't as effective in Tokyo due to Leech healing not working so long as any AEGIS shields are up. Note that this will also affect Thirst Signet procs and Leeching Frenzy, making those more difficult to rely on.

I also personally favor using Blade/Hammer due to both starting at 5 resources for each fight - having two big finishers at the start of the fight makes those fights much faster. Also, as always, AOE is generally more important than ST for soloing, since you're far moreoften fighting more than 1 opponent. This is especially true in Tokyo, where the enemy density is high and there are few routes devoid of enemies.

Especially early on, you'll probably want to focus more on survivability and outlasting enemies than on bursting them down, due to how much damage you have to deal to knock AEGIS shields off: many boss-type enemies have over 2,000 points of AEGIS to chew through. Remember the AEGIS damage conversion stuff above? That means that, when you're first starting, many bosses will require you to deal 15,000 - 40,000 damage extra damage before you can reach their health, and some of that will likely regenerate in combat.

My personal build is:

Code:
WEAPONS: blade/hammer (1351 AP)
  ACTIVES
1. Sling Blade (Blade->Sharpening the Senses, 34 AP)
2. No Mercy (Hammer->Excessive Damage, 16 AP)
3. Blade Torrent (Blade->Technique, 1 AP)
4. Clearing the Path (Blade->Crossing River's Edge, 27 AP)
5. Ground Pound (Hammer->Excessive Damage, 9 AP)
6. Turn the Tables (Green->Survivalism, 16 AP)
7. The Art of War (Elite, Blade->The Cutting Artist, 50 AP)
8. Crack! (Auxiliary->Whip, 50 AP)

PASSIVES
1. Sudden Return (Blade->Crossing River's Edge, 12 AP)
2. Gross Anatomy (Elite, Blood->Transmission, 50 AP)
3. Bloodsport (Fist->The Outback, 16 AP)
4. Breakdown (Chaos->The Value of x, 9 AP)
5. Leeching Frenzy (Assault Rifle->Ground Control, 34 AP)
6. Iron Maiden (Blood->Malediction, 12 AP)
7. Arterial Pulse (Blood->Venamancy, 12 AP)
8. Whiplash (Auxiliary->Whip, 50 AP)

LINK/VDM
http://www.tsw-builder.com/#12v165242111144240g02176a00p141436332530975421471a05

VDM%-%7080588%-%6861201%-%5779785%-%7080580%-%6838810%-%7494903%-%7080595%-%8102554%-%7080605%-%6943095%-%6942580%-%7094290%-%6852644%-%6943080%-%6956323%-%8102604

I'm using that with 10.4/10.4 gear, a purple Cruel Delight on the Blade, no signet of note in Hammer, a Brooklyn Bracer w/ Block on it, a Healing minor tali, and a purple Signet of Thirst.  I also have a Karma Curio, without which I'd be wearing more HP.

For more survivability, drop Gross Anatomy for Cool Calm & Collected or Fluid Defense, and be open to wearing more HP and/or heal rating.

The reason I use Gross Anatomy because it deals its damage before the primary strike of the weapon - this means that, often, my initial Clearing the Path will damage HP after GA proc clears off any remaining AEGIS.

Sling Blade provides a strong single target attack as well as a nice ranged strike to use when you have to get out of AOEs, which is extremely common against Tokyo mobs.

My augments suck, but I do have a level 3 Penetrating aug on my Blade Torrent to get more Sudden Return & Arterial Pulse procs out of it.

Arrival: AEGIS Explained

Once you arrive in Tokyo through the story mission and play through the introduction mission, you'll find yourself with three new AEGIS Controllers and access to the AEGIS Skill lines (Speed, Damage, possibly Shield). My recommendation is to start putting points into Speed until at least 5 or 6, then switching to Damage. Without Speed, switching AEGIS controllers in combat is an expensive operation. At 5 or 6, Speed suffers heavy diminishing returns and is no longer very important. Damage gives +1% per point, which is great (especially early). Ignore Shield entirely for now, it's not relevant until Issue 10 content.

Play through the storyline missions. Also consider doing both Tower Defense and Right Round missions once you have a set of 4 AE Capacitors (QL doesn't really matter too much). These two missions grant new AEGIS Controllers from a set of 3 - the original trio is based around delaying shields from going back up (or taking Demonic shields down faster), while the mission Controllers give small heals when dealing AEGIS damage. It's best to have all 6 so you can make an informed decision about which controllers to level up first. Also, once you've acquired all 3 AEGIS controllers from these missions, their containers instead provide a very large sum of research points. Right Round in particular, between the looted points and the two(!) containers it provides, is worth upwards of 22,000+ research points.

As the tutorials in the game mention, there are three types of AEGIS shields: Demonic, Cybernetic, and Psychic. Demonic shields are generally the largest, but once they're off, they stay off. Enemies with Psychic shields can cast "Psychic Renewal" to regenerate a portion of their Psychic shields. Cybernetic shields will automatically regenerate after a set time (and, on Issue 10 opponents, will also auto-regenerate while they're still up). I personally recommend leveling the Original versions of the Psychic and Cybernetic controllers (which delay shield renewal), and your choice for Demonic controllers. The innate effects of the controllers do NOT scale with Version, though they may scale when upgrading the Controllers to Blue quality in later Issues.

You level your AEGIS controllers by looting the remains of AEGIS enemies with those Controllers equipped. AEGIS enemies drop filth samples that provide Research Points towards your currently equipped AEGIS Controllers. Most missions also reward various types of Biohazard Containers, which drop Modules, Capacitors, and hefty sums of Research Points. Note that only the CURRENTLY EQUIPPED Controllers get the points - not ones in the "cycle slots." Controllers can currently only be leveled to 1.9.

The XP tables for leveling AEGIS Controllers is roughly as follows (give or take a few thousand for each tier):

Code:
1.0 -> 1.1:  42,000 RP
1.1 -> 1.2:  48,000 RP
1.2 -> 1.3:  55,000 RP
1.3 -> 1.4:  63,000 RP
1.4 -> 1.5:  72,000 RP
1.5 -> 1.6:  82,000 RP
1.6 -> 1.7:  94,000 RP
1.7 -> 1.8:  108,000 RP
1.8 -> 1.9:  124,000 RP
1.9 -> 2.0?: 140,000 RP

When a Controller reaches 100% Research, it can be upgraded with a Memory Upgrade Kit. These are available from the Orochi merchant by the Ginpachi Park Agartha entrance. There are two types of kits: Mark 1 and Mark 2. Mark 1 kits are used to upgrade controllers up to 1.4, Mark 2 are for versions 1.5 - 1.9. Mark 1 kits cost 5 Sequins of Sunrise, Mark 2 kits cost 20 Sequins of Sunrise. It costs a total of 120 Sequins to level a controller to 1.9 (this is down from 270 from Issue 9).

The highest QL of your controllers equipped (including in the "cycle slots") determines what QL Capacitors you can equip. There are 3 types of Capacitors. AE Capacitors increase the % damage dealt to AEGIS shields (and are your mainstay for soloing Tokyo missions), Convalescence Capacitors increase healing done to player AEGIS shields, and S-Something AE Capacitors increase AEGIS shield capacity. The latter two are pretty much irrelevant for Issue 10 content, but are expected to be necessary for tanks and healers in the Issue 11 dungeon/raid.

It is generally considered the optimal route to powerlevel one controller up to 1.9 as fast as possible, because that allows the usage of stronger Capacitors early on (and capacitors provide the lion's share of your AEGIS effectiveness). With the new kit pricings, you can probably afford to level two at once, but budget your sequins ahead of time to hit 1.9 ASAP on a single Controller.

You earn Sequins of Sunrise through completion of Tokyo missions (10 for initial completions of story missions, 3 for repeats of story missions and regular missions, 1 for item missions). These will be your primary limiting factor when leveling your AEGIS controllers, and optimizing the mission route to obtain sequins is the purpose of the lion's share of this guide.

When you reach Issue 10 Content (beyond the Quarantine Wall), the enemies you encounter change. First, their AEGIS shields roughly quintuple in size, and second, they begin dealing a lot more damage, some of which is AEGIS Typed. One of Jack Hama's missions, "One for the AEGIS" will grant AEGIS Shield Controllers (equipped on head). Those will absorb AEGIS damage of the appropriate type until depleted, and are leveled identically to the other AEGIS Controllers (same kits, same XP chart).

First Playthrough

Play the story missions. No, seriously, just play the story missions. Take your time. The grind can wait a bit. The story missions are tuned for low-level controllers, provide a ton of information on the whole "What the fuck just happened" question, and are worth giving your complete attention. They provide 10 sequins of sunrise each, and supposedly will grant some capacitors and modules now as well (Issue 10 change). I recommend you stop at "Follow the White Rabbit" until you're at at least +25% AEGIS Damage, as the enemies beyond the wall are MUCH harder than the ones inside.

Once you've finished the storyline entirely, go back around and do the other missions for the first time. Again, just enjoy the story, dialogue, and challenges they provide. Again, stay within the Quarantine Wall.

Important Note: For missions (e.g. Love and Origami) that say "Go find X", mark X on your map. You'll want to be able to quickly reference those locations until you've gotten used to 'em.

Important Note 2: The next section assumes you completed all Investigation missions, through massive brainpower or blatant cheatery (I'm guilty of the latter). The Investigation Missions are the best ones to repeat later on in terms of time:reward, so do complete them.

Important Note 3: I'm assuming you have Issue 9 AND the Tokyo Side Stories DLC in this guide. The sidestories DLC is worth the price, both in terms of quality content and in terms of grind shortening.

Last edited:
The Grind

NOTE: Spoilers abound!!

Alright. Now the "fun" part. The Grind. Gotta get those controllers up to 1.9, get outside the wall, and start working on Shield Controllers as well. This is best achieved through efficient runs of the quests in Tokyo, since Containers give exquisite amounts of Research and the mission rewards themselves give the necessary sequins.

In my experience, a full circuit of the inner-wall Tokyo missions (including Venice) gives about 70 Sequins and ~130,000 research XP (depending heavily on container luck - this could be higher or much lower).

Below is the route I've personally found to be the most efficient, including which item missions to grab/complete and when. I've marked a number of quests with "OPTIONAL", indicating that I personally don't feel they're worth the time/frustration to complete. The guide is written such that skipping these OPTIONAL quests won't interfere with the overall flow of missions nor grabbing/completing the Item Missions. The one exception is "Texts" - if you choose to skip The Pagans, you'll have to swing out of your way to complete parts 1 and 4 of this.

For the most part, I'm going to assume you know how to complete the missions, although I'll mention a few useful tips here and there. In general, see TSW DB for mission details and assistance, as their guides are top notch for Tokyo.

1) Venice Sinking, Spy Games, Treachery in Purple (OPTIONAL)
5 sequins, 1 Small Container
Starts at Arturo's Office.

Bit out of the way if you're camping in Tokyo, and takes a fair amount of time to complete (in my limited experience). However, there are two Item Missions here, so it's good for 5 sequins.

Spy Games should be completed any time you're in the Venice Library, honestly. It's about a minute to complete and gives a sequin, one of the best time:sequin ratios out there.

TSWDB Link (Venice Sinking): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/issue-9/venice-sinking/
TSWDB Link (Spy Games): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/issue-9/spy-games/
TSWDB Link (Treachery in Purple): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/issue-9/treachery-in-purple/

Completion of this quest leaves you in Ginpachi Park.

2) The Pagans, [Part of] Texts, [Start of] Evolved Filth
3 sequins, 1 Putrid Container
Starts at Ricky Pagan, in Ginpachi Park.

This mission is a pretty fast completion, though the "Find Angry Feet" section of it is incredibly annoying.

When you kill Angry Feet and reach the Big Johnny step, do a /reset, spawn at Susanoo's Diner, and go grab Texts by the Subway Entrance. Complete phone 1 (316, 609).
Grab Phone 4 after killing Big Johnny (496, 602 - right next to the jacket). Swing south and pick up "Evolved Filth" from the Orochi truck before returning to Ricky. You'll be slowly working through Evolved Filth through most of this guide.

Aoi: Susanoo's diner, leaning on green car w/ mohawk. Play Tune 4, click her.
TSWDB Link (The Pagans): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/sidestories/the-pagans/

Completion of this quest returns you to Ginpachi Park.

3) Through the Wake Darkly, House-in-Exile Corpse, [Part of] Texts
4 sequins, 1 Putrid Container
Starts at Ricky Pagan, in Ginpachi Park.

After you complete the mission (grabbing the corpse quest by the hubcaps on the way), do a /reset and spawn at the Bath House. Drop off the objective for the House-in-Exile quest and head south towards Susanoo's Diner. Grab Phone 2 (259, 689) on the way.

TSWDB Link (Through the Wake Darkly): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/sidestories/through-the-wake-darkly/

Completion of this quest (including the Texts part) leaves you just north of Susanoo's Diner.

4) Love and Origami, [Completion of] Texts
Starts at Gozen, in Susanoo's Diner.

On your way from the Diner to Note 1, grab Phone 3 (384, 793) to complete Texts. Recommend using /reset to go from Note 1 to note 2.

Note 1: Docks, on bench (469, 907)
Note 2: Ginpachi Park, south end of Agartha tree (947, 731)
Note 3: Korinto-Kai lair, shelf on first floor, back right corner (~453, 809)
Note 4: Bath House, left-hand changing room before Inbeda, on bench in corner (~172, 784)
TSWDB Link: http://www.tswdb.com/missions/sidestories/love-and-origami/

Completion of this quest brings you to the Bath House.

5) Fierce Competition, Samurai Robots Can Happen to Anyone
Starts at Inbeda, in the Bath House.

In the Bath House, pick up both Samurai Robots can Happen to Anyone (Tsuwamono) and The Ghost Lord (Daimyo) Item quests next to Inbeda.

Note: DO NOT put on the Frowning Mask until the mission specifically tells you to. Putting it on early causes a bit of a headache in getting it off again, thanks to the 5min CD.

When you reach the Orochi Monument Puzzle, kill Tsuwamono to complete Samurai Robots. He's just south of the monument. Nothing special for beating him - he mostly just has a lot of HP and a lot of things to dodge. If you're struggling, bring a couple impairs and impair his whirlwind, since it's the only thing you can't dodge.

1st Laptop Password: spark the light
2nd Laptop Password: angel hair
Daichi's Body: Quarantine wall, on ground against wall (516, 401)
Puzzle Completion: http://imgur.com/J26PGWy
TSWDB Link (Fierce Competition): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/sidestories/fierce-competition/

Completion of this quest brings you near Yuichi and Harumi.

6) Spiral, Population of Filth
4 sequins, 1 Small Container
Starts at the door of Yuichi & Harumi's building.

Equip Psychic controllers and navigate the array of traps, making sure to duck into rooms to wipe out filthies to complete Population.

To navigate Marbles, you can turn on Walk (backspace, usually) to slowly trod across them without falling. Approach staircases with care for paintcan traps.

This one's a fast enough completion to be worth doing despite how annoying the traps are - it has one of the best time:sequin ratios in the game.

TSWDB Link (Spiral): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/issue-9/spiral/

Completion of this quest brings you to Yuichi and Harumi's door.

7) All Alone Together, The Ghost Lord
Starts at Yuichi & Harumi.

DAIMYO: When you go to pick up flashgurl27's camera, you'll probably see Daimyo wandering the streets. Clear out a large section of street (including the flower girl quest guard guy thing person), equip a Psychic controller on a weapon with a PBAOE builder and a Cybernetic controller on your other weapon.
Fighting Daimyo is simply a matter of slowly backpedaling while spamming your PBAOE builder to 5 resources and dumping finishers, while knocking off his shields as they re-apply. The backpedaling with the PBAOE Psychic builder will rapidly de-shield and kill the adds he spawns as well as keep you out of the way of the floating Aura Mask Things the adds spawn. The Aura Mask Things deal the majority of the damage in this encounter - the constant movement nullifies their effectiveness. Standing still VS Daimyo is suicide.

darkdeathevilman: In dumpster in alley in ghost town (740, 749)
flashygurl27: Camera on flower cart in ghost town (847, 662)
Amaya: Uniform on ground on north-ish end of Agartha tree (965, 749)
phattrax: Red car in parking lot by Bath House (244, 882)
Yuichi's GF: Susanoo's diner, second floor, drunk girl, listen to all dialogue (good lord, shut up!)
TSWDB (All Alone Together): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/sidestories/all-alone-together/

Completion of this quest brings you to Susanoo's Diner.

8) Killers on the Road, Jingu Katana
Starts at Gozen, in Susanoo's Diner

The final boss of this one is ANNOYING. Recommend equipping extra health in case you have bad luck with the fireballs. Recommend NOT killing Oni Bruiser adds, since they don't have any annoying effects and their presence stops more adds from spawning (no more assassins!).

Grab the Jingu Katana on the way out.

TSWDB Link: http://www.tswdb.com/missions/sidestories/killers-on-the-road/

Completion of this quest returns you to Susanoo's Diner.

9) Right of Way, Hell's Arsenal, Hell of a Blow, Chasing Bad Luck
6 sequins, 1 Small Container
Starts at Gozen, in Susanoo's Diner.

Note: Those with latency issues may wish to skip this one. Latency and wall spike door things do not mix.

Grab Hell's Arsenal next to Gozen when you accept the quest. Remember to inspect the thingie on her table before leaving.

When you head up to the Oni Camps, stop in the Bath House to pick up Chasing Bad Luck (Fuun).

As you make your way through the camps, killing stockpiles and getting better buttflags, keep an eye out for Fuun - he's a big Oni, stands up straight, with a psychic+demonic shield. He teleports around the area (mostly on the western and southern borders, along the water). If you see him, drop everything and run over and engage him. If you don't see him this time, you'll be back in the camps shortly, so you'll have another shot.

FUUN: He alternates between three attacks. Meteor Shower (lots of spawning GTAOEs), a large PBAOE cast, and a few ranged basic attacks. Watch your feet and beat his ass. If you have trouble with Meteor Shower, consider impairing it.

Grab Hell of a Blow shortly after entering Iberaki's Lair, complete it as you progress along in there.

Once you exit the lair, just /reset back to Susanoo's to avoid the trek back.

TSWDB Link (Right of Way): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/issue-9/the-right-of-way/
TSWDB Link (Hell of a Blow): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/issue-9/hell-of-a-blow/

Completion of this quest brings you to the Bath House.

10) Contract Killers, Masks in Exile
4 sequins, 1 small container

This quest is annoying and optional if you struggle with the ghost girl things.

When picking up masks, don't even attempt to grab a mask while a girl is present - complete her floor, despawn her by going halfway up the ramp, then return for the mask.

TSWDB Link (Contract Killers): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/issue-9/contract-killers/

Great video showing how to avoid the ghost girl things. Credit to seyyahgunluk for video.​

Completion of this quest returns you to the Bath House.

11) Brotherly Loathe, Jingu Katana

Don't bother engaging the portal bosses until the 3rd wave of minions has spawned from each portal - they're invincible for the first 90 seconds after they spawn. Note that AEGIS Modules DO damage their AEGIS if you want to take a beating in exchange for an advantage when they're damageable, though I find this not worth the effort.

The Oni in the initial room before the camps count towards the first Oni faction, making it an easy 7 to grab.

If you missed Fuun during Right of Way, keep an eye out for him this time around. You won't be returning to the camps. If you don't see him, don't worry too much about it - we grabbed his quest in case he showed his face.

Grab the katana next to the final boss, /reset out and deliver it to Gozen.

TSWDB Link: http://www.tswdb.com/missions/sidestories/brotherly-loathe/

Completion of this quest (including the katana) brings you to Susanoo's Diner.

12) Pachinko Model, Dear Diary (OPTIONAL)
4 Sequins, 1 Small Container
Starts at Daimon Kayota, in the Korinto-Kai parlour.

This one's not a great ratio for time:sequins, and the container is inferior. This is skippable.

Computer password: 41225
TSWDB Link (Pachinko Model): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/issue-9/the-pachinko-model/
TSWDB Link (Dear Diary): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/issue-9/dear-diary/

Completion of this mission returns you to Daimon Kiyota.

13) Bank Heist (SO VERY OPTIONAL)
Starts at Daimon Kiyota, in the Korinto-Kai parlour.

The White Whale of Tokyo. This is among the most frustrating sabotage missions in the game. If you can complete it without getting caught, it has a great time:sequin ratio and a Putrid Container. If you're among us mere mortals, this one isn't worth the time to do.

The moonwalk plates are skippable by using Death From Above. Use the "Switch Weapon" key to re-equip the arm (default is Shift+R, I believe - check your keybinds).

Note when doing cartwheels: if the animation completes, you lose. Re-enter "/cartwheel" anytime during the animation to continue moving through lasers

Note on scanners: You MUST have the scanner TARGETED for Scan ID to work. You can "use" the scanner without targeting it, which makes this very confusing and frustrating. Target them.

Note on floaty droids: Visible range is poop. These aren't nearly the observation gods they are in other sabotage missions. The humanoid droids, on the other hand, have better range and are bigger threats.

Box Number: 143
Box Code: 498307
TSWDB Link: http://www.tswdb.com/missions/sidestories/the-bank-heist/

These combine to show how to get in and out of the vault. Credits to seyyahgunluk and Sarph for videos, respectively.​

This video shows a different way of passing the 3-guard chokepoint than the above videos (the hardest part of the area by far). Credits to REZISTANCE2 for video.

This one shows how to get the Lore in Bank Heist, for the particularly masochistic. Credit to Sarph for video.​

Completion of this mission brings you to the Subway Entrance near the center of town.

14) Back to the Beginning, Pieces of Sarah
4 sequins, 1 small container
Starts at the Subway Entrance near the center of town.

Decent time:sequin reward ratio, but may not appeal to some. This takes much less time than it did originally because you have your own damn AEGIS Controllers. Make sure not to miss any Pieces of Sarah, since backtracking is limited in here.

TSWDB Link (Back to the Beginning): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/issue-9/back-to-the-beginning/
TSWDB Link (Pieces of Sarah): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/issue-9/pieces-of-sarah/

Completion of this mission brings you back to the Subway Entrance near the center of town.

15) Tower Defence, Feed the Tank, Evolved Filth, Noodles and swords
6 sequins, 1 AEGIS Container
Starts at Kurt, in the tank across the street from the Subway Entrance.

This one's a great source of both sequins and AEGIS Research. Regretfully, Issue 10 nerfed it so the swarm mobs don't drop research samples anymore.

This is where you'll finish off the Cyborg requirements for Evolved Filth (which, if I wrote this right, should have been active throughout this guide - even the spots with 3 item missions (e.g. Right of Way) took them consecutively instead of concurrently to allow Evolved Filth to stay active.

Grab the Tank batteries as you go. Make sure to go east of the 2nd breach to grab that east-most tank before going north to the 3rd breach.

Use Cyborg towers for 1st breach, Cyborg + Psychic towers for 2nd, and all 3 for 3rd breach.

2nd breach alternates psychic/cyborg. 3rd breach alternates psychic/demonic/cyborg/demonic (or was it cyborg/demonic/psychic/demonic?).

Grab the dropped katana from the final boss, but run and grab the NE-most tank before /resetting back to Susanoo's Diner to turn it in. Return to Kurt to dump the batteries in his tank to finish off Feed the Tank.

TSWDB Link (Tower Defence): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/issue-9/tower-defence/

Completion of this mission returns you to Kurt.

16) Right Round, Power to Kurt
4 sequins, 1 Putrid Container, 1 AEGIS Container
Starts at Kurt, in the tank across the street from the Subway Entrance.

The ultimate Research Point mission. The enemies in here still drop research samples, and you get two freaking containers for completing it. Awesome!

Grab the Battery quest at the start to begin Power to Kurt. See the TSWDB link for battery locations.

For the final section of Right Round, "Einkil Balderk" posted this image http://i.imgur.com/jBN24fj.png along with a solid explanation of his strategy in the TSWDB Comment section at http://www.tswdb.com/missions/sidestories/the-right-round/. Seriously, this strategy is GOLD - it makes the final section so easy. Do it.

TSWDB Link (Right Round): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/sidestories/the-right-round/
TSWDB Link (Power to Kurt): http://www.tswdb.com/missions/sidestories/power-to-kurt/

Completion of this mission returns you to Kurt.

17) All-Seeing Kawaii (OPTIONAL)
Starts at Yuichi & Harumi.

No real tricks for this one. Pretty poor time:sequin ratio, but it does give a Putrid Container.

TSWDB Link: http://www.tswdb.com/missions/sidestories/the-all-seeing-kawaii/

Getting out of the nest alive (Nest Ninja achievement) - Credit to Sarph for video​

Completion of this mission brings you nearby the Korinto-Kai parlour.

18) Korinto-Kai (REALLY REALLY OPTIONAL)
Starts at Daimon Kiyota, in the Korinto-Kai parlour.

I hate this one. More than Bank Heist, quite possibly. Takes so much time, sequin reward is crap. No real tips for this one, either... I couldn't find any way to hasten it at all.

TSWDB Link: http://www.tswdb.com/missions/sidestories/the-korinto-kai/

Completion of this mission leaves you near the Dream Palace anima well.

I'm leaving Issue 10 missions out of this one, as I didn't find most of them very repetition-friendly on my initial playthrough. They would, however, start at this point - the two issues are pretty exclusive in terms of area overlap (there's one Item Mission that goes back inside the wall, and I believe that's it).

(POST-EDIT: I give up. I can't figure out how to link youtube videos without embedding them, so embedded them with links to the authors' channels. Apologies to mobile users.)

Last edited:
Nice guide! I'll put in my 2 cents here since I personally prefer the I10 side missions. It's not going to be nearly as well written as Kalinai's but here the route I've been using recently:

(spoilers abound, don't read until you've done all the I10 missions)

1) /reset to CDC
2) Grab [Ravenous] and [Death and Noodles]. Finish them. While you're in the CDC area grab either [Youth Outreach] or [One for the Aegis].
3) /reset to diner to finish [Death and Noodles].
4) /reset back to CDC, grab [Waste Not]. Run over to the box close to the CDC well do [Waste Not](tier 1)
5) Progress [One for the Aegis] (the corpse past bridge), grab [Cleaning House] and [Middle Management]
6) Do [Middle Management](Tier 1 and 2), stop by at Jung and then look at poster for [Youth Outreach](tier 1). Jung also handily disperses the parade of adds that you might have following you.
7) Finish [Middle Management], Swim across to island, Progress [Youth Outreach](tier 2) at pier, grab second box for [Waste Not](Tier 2)
8) Swim back and complete [Message to Hell]
9) Grab and complete [Pirating the Signal], progress [Youth Outreach](tier 3) while you're at the cemetary.
10) /reset to CDC
10a) [Youth Outreach](tier 4) at subway, run over to clubhouse complete [Youth Outreach](tier 5).
10b) Progress [One for the Aegis](tier 2)
11?) Grab and complete [Hardware Test]. This one is kind of annoying and time consuming as you have to look around for 3 Sky Drones and 3 Shield guys. I might skip this one in the future or maybe /reset over to the docks and quickly finish Waste Not so that I free up a sidequest slot.
12) Run along Robot Alley on top towards the docks, Grab and complete [Judas Mech]. Grab [Tenebrous Sky]
13) Now that you're at the docks, talk to Junsaku first for [One for the Aegis](tier 3). Next, grab [Fruiting Bodies] then finish [Waste Not](tier 3).
14) Finish [One for the Aegis](tier 4 and 5) [Cleaning House] should be done around now.
15) Kill mobs for [Fruiting Bodies] as you make your way towards the NM area. Grab and finish both [O Captain] and [Fruiting Bodies] in NM area.

Yay done! Takes just over half an hour for the run. 1 Putrid, 14 Sequins and maybe cargo keys!

16) (optional) rage at unclickable birds for [Tenebrous Sky], abandon quest.

As far as I9 missions go I only do Spiral->All Alone Together->Killers on the Road->Love and Origami with liberal use of resets. 3 Putrids, 14 sequins and about 15-20 minutes(? guessing), but no keys.

Last edited:
Thanks for the guide. All this Aegis system is confusing to this old man. Maybe that why I haven't been in tokyo much. If I reread the guide several times, may be I can a small clue want it is all about and what I should be doing

30min for all of that? Daaaaamn, Yottle. I'll have to give that a try, nice! Thank you!

Pegasus - AEGIS sounds all complicated and shit in text, but it's one of those things where once you use it, you're like "Oh!" and it makes sense. Much simpler in practice than in explanation. Good luck!

EDIT: Fun note on Pirating the Signal: you can "get" the graveyard transmitter by jumping at it from the other side of the brick wall. No need to enter and navigate the graveyard, just bonzai it from the street. :D

Last edited:
16) (optional) rage at unclickable birds for [Tenebrous Sky], abandon quest.
Now that they've changed the way this works a bit, it can be done pretty quickly. The best place I've found to shoot Flappies is on the bridge over the tracks closest to the CDC well. It's still a bit random, but it usually only takes 3-4 minutes there. (They fly over the area often enough that I've sometimes had a second one come in before the gun has recharged.)

I found the best place is the playground in the middle of the houses, just stand on the sand pit and you should get all 3 in 2 minutes :)

*deleted,link 404'd
1706110758078.png
EDIT: Re-uploaded for post 2023 time travelers. If you are playing SWL one for the aegis doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Yeap. Did it yesterday, and anima leaping makes it feel more legit. Faster too.

Back