• Season 2 of Secret World Legends is now live with Dawn of the Morninglight!

Please avoid posting any story spoilers on the forums. If you must share info or ask for help with a mission, be sure to use a [spoiler] tag!

POE Time to Move to Discord

CharcoalCrow

Lord of Misrule
I apologize because the Teamspeak servers are paid for, but I think it is time LOMS moved to the utterly more modular Discord.
Discord is both chat and voice, and doesn't penalize people for not being in voice. It can also serve as a general help center for newer or confused players.

Mostly, I can run Discord in a browser window from wherever and can access it on my phone, too. Can we please join the 21st century, here?

Some people prefer discord, some prefer teamspeak. Just have both and let people and group leads use what they want if they want to use it. Probably better to just keep both than to try and force one or the other.

I don't see a reason why both can't be a thing within loms. I have problems with discord personally, as it uses far too many resources from my computer. Even that aside, I never really liked discord as I feel it lacking vs TS3. That being said, I can see why some might like discord. If people like discord I say let them use it. If people like TS3, I also say let them use it. The only thing I see closing one down will do is force the other to use something they don't want to use if they want to talk to others. As far as shutting down TS3 for discord, I generally see more people using voice in TS3 than in discord at any given time. There are at least 6 people average online during the day, and during peak hours around 10-15. The most I usually see in discord when I check the messages, is like 2-3 if any at all. Not to mention there are several other games that loms takes a part in. They don't use discord, but TS3. Not to mention I don't even see any channels made for anything other than TSW. Seems like the discord server is TSW exclusive atm.

I have Discord in my phone. And I have TS in my phone. And eventually, I suppose I'll have to get Mumble too, as there are other groups I communicate with/in, not just LoMS. I don't see the problem with both installing ansd using whatever's necessary for the situation and the clients are free. Processor resources are critical for many, so phones.

TS is paid for and, as I understand, allows for a whole heap of people. It's the weapon of choice for meetings.

Ehh, they both have their purposes. Discord is becoming more ubiquitous by the day and it's dead simple to use. I'd prefer it for casual dungeon runs and just chewing the fat.
Teamspeak still has its advantages in channel ops permissions and number of simultaneous users in a channel, and thus it's still useful for situations like treehouse meetings, but it's an old app and not as easy to set up.
Overall I prefer Discord because "it just works", but I can see the usefulness of keeping both as long as those responsible for maintaining them continue to want to do so. :)

Like Wanning said: It comes down to personal preference. No reason to shut down one or the other as long as there are people who prefer to use it.

3f323f3dbe96e44d9c37aa225cb315c9.jpg

Ayep. Gotta throw my two cents into the mix as well, I suppose. TS should stay up, partly to give options and personal preference, but also because it has been the main voice feature for so long that returning players may not know whats up. (Yes even if posted on the forums.) Personally, I prefer TS and would be very disappointed if it was discontinued as a loms voice choice.

Well, I haven't figured out how to send private tells in Discord, so I prefer TS for that. But Discord does have a lot of functionality. But it's so busy and I haven't figured it out yet so it confuses and frightens me.

And Streakz is on vacation, sans internet. Someone had to post a meme.

Well, I haven't figured out how to send private tells in Discord, so I prefer TS for that.
If you click someone's name, there's a "Message @blahlabhlah" text box which starts a conversation.

Though it should be noted that Discord has settings to prevent private messages so it's not guaranteed to work. I think the default allows you to get messages from anyone on one of the servers you are currently a member of though.

Back