• Season 2 of Secret World Legends is now live with Dawn of the Morninglight!

Please avoid posting any story spoilers on the forums. If you must share info or ask for help with a mission, be sure to use a [spoiler] tag!

The Spirit of LoMS

Beecher

LoMS Staff Member
Officer
The League of Monster Slayers
What is it all about?

The concept of LoMS is a simple one: a group of like minded people getting together to have fun and socialize while playing an MMO in a non-elitist and friendly manner. LoMS began in The Secret World but will expand into other MMOs and it is important that this spirit is carried into all manifestations, be it called a cabal, a guild or whatever.

Freedom to Play as You Like

As a member of LoMS all that is expected of you is to be respectful towards your mates and to adhere to our code of conduct. You have the freedom to play as you like. You are not required to participate in any structured activities. You are not required to use team speak. You are not required to do anything you are not comfortable with.
Freedom to play as you like also means that you are free to start a normal/elite/nightmare dungeon group, a lair group, a raid, a mission group, signet mission team, work towards an achievement, hunt rare monsters, discover lore, or just relax in the Horned God and chat. Any member can put an event on the calendar. Any member can start a group for whatever tickles their fancy.

Elitism and You

Some members have voiced concerns about elitism in LoMS. These are legitimate concerns. Elitism violates the spirit of LoMS and we will always work to remain elitist-free.
So let’s talk clarification. What does LoMS consider to be elitist? While playing an MMO, bonds between players happen. We enjoy playing with each other and form friendships. Some of us are even friends outside of game. Other times, members may work together towards a common goal, such as figuring out a raid or a nightmare level dungeon. Members may find that they work well together or have good problem solving skills together. There is nothing wrong with this and should not be considered elitism.
Below are some examples of things you might hear that are not elitist, and some things that are elitist.
Things You Might Hear in LoMS
  • I promised I would save this dungeon/mission/raid for XYZ.
  • I’m sorry, we already have two nm beginners on the team. I don’t think we can do it with another. Another time?
  • This is a really tough nm dungeon. We’re still trying to figure it out. I would like to bring along a more advanced player until we master it.
Things You Should Never Hear in LoMS
  • I don’t play with noobs.
  • 4k AR required.
  • Your gear is not good enough.
Sometimes when we play, emotions run high and tempers flare. Let's not say anything we can't take back. Remember, respect one another and have fun. It's game. It's suppose to be fun.We're a pretty fantastic cabal. Being respectful of one another helps keep us fantastic.

What do you consider to be the spirit of LoMS? Thoughts?

Looks good beecher, i know when i was a more active player, we would often adjust what we were doing based on who we had in the party. Don't recall ever excluding someone unless it was specifically to work on progression which needed our static A or B team. Hope no one ever takes that as anything other than what it was, which is we needed the very best to beat the new stuff, so we could teach the rest! At this point there is so many leech healers and top notch DPS it'spretty easy to include beginners to NMS without even noticing.

For me it's the camaraderie and the people... It's the people that make LoMS. I do agree with everything you say Beecher, the only thing i can say as constructive criticism is this :

Our geared and senior members should put forth more of an effort to help the cabal get thru everything past 18/18 and HE. There are not enough of these runs, the runs that do take place are usually with static teams. I've tried my best to try and pull a new person into SH runs for example. More of this needs to take place. Nothing wrong with running with your same 5 people but at the same time it's unfair to those that wish to progress.. Forces them to look elsewhere (pugging) for their clears.

I've taken initiative to run 18/18 and HE Master Planner runs because it's all i can tank. I have not learned the mechanics of the other dungeons as a tank. Would be nice to see some events, like Anhk , FAC, SH NM cabal runs. Come join the party. Other than that I love this cabal. it's my second home away from home

On the subject of non-18/HE runs, I thought I'd make another point:

If you are looking for a clear or an MP of a particular dungeon and are having a tough time finding a group being run in the cabal, ASK. And not just a grumble or two in #lomsglobal about how runs don't get done. Post on the forums. Send tells to veterans. Try to start a fresh group yourself.

Due to the sheer size of the cabal, many members don't really mentally track progress rates of other members. We usually (not always) know who is or isn't nightmare-capable, but we don't know who's cleared which dungeons or gotten which MP achievements. When I see folks say "Hey, I need X, anyone want to make a run?" it generally gets done quite soon (unless X is Hell Fallen NM). So we don't really know what you need; you gotta tell us.

Furthermore, to those who are voicing concerns about elitism, I'd also like to make a specific request: Read the guides on the dungeons you want to do, if you're not familiar with them already. I've put a TON of work into making those things as complete and informative as possible (and it's still an ongoing process with a rather intimidating backlog) so that newer players can jump into new dungeons with at least some level of familiarity of what's going on.

Why's reading the guide important? It both makes the run go smoother and it shows respect towards the time and effort of the other four members of your party.

Nightmare content in The Secret World is TOUGH. Ankh, Facility, Slaughterhouse, and Hell Fallen are all VERY difficult, and any one player not caring to learn the dungeon will result in the run being a three hour session of pure agony, sometimes without a clear. This is NOT me saying "We won't run them with noobs." This is me saying "Meet us a quarter of the way." Learn the place, learn what's needed of you, make sure you meet any pre-requisites for the dungeon (and yes, for Slaughterhouse, that includes a minimum DPS output, because that's just how the place was designed - sorry =/ ), and let us know that you've read up on what's needed of you and you're good to go. And we'll be happy to work with you to get a run together and kick that dungeon's ass.

In my experience and observation in my ascent from "total noob" to "pretty experienced" with LOMS, the cabal has been nothing but friendly, encouraging, and helpful in so many ways. They've assisted me with builds, strategies, quests, gear, groups, and so much more, always with a smile, and always with a polite and friendly demeanor. I'm a cranky bastard at heart, but I've tried to pay it forward as best I could (including the guides over in the dungeon forums)... and if they helped an ass like me, they'll help you as well. Just ask, and where relevant make sure you're trying to meet them part-way.

That's my two cents. Hopefully they're not an elitist two cents. If so I'll probably be scolded and can edit this post. :D
/Kal

Me and Skizzia ran Pol NM with a couple of members who are new to Nightmares and a newbie from LFG just before server shutdown today, we cleared the dungeon after a little instruction was given on how to handle the last boss.
I'll even help with the last boss or last few bosses if someone has DC'd or spat their dummy out and left the group and i'm not locked from that dungeon.....i remember how hard it was for me at first trying to get gear, so please, you newer nightmare players never be afraid to ask in LoMS chat for help if you need it, there are a lot of players in this Cabal that are happy to do so if they can.

Saw this and wanted to throw a tupence at it. I was directed to this Cabal by a fella not even IN it because he saw me looking for a beginner NM right after I took down GK for the first time. I was looking for a "Fast NM" because I had a little over an hour of play time until I caught family aggro. He and I chatted a bit about how when people are looking for a "Fast NM" they usually won't even think about a fella like me who was in all blues with signets missing. But he said "Hey, what part of the world are you in? You should really check out LoMS! They know what they are doing and you'll find it so much easier to run Cabal NMs than PuGs."

That guy couldn't be more right. I have a really deep friends list full of spectacular players who have always been there for elites or questing and would have sneaked into a NM or two I didn't belong in but this is by far the easiest going group of people I have met to date on this game and I can't thank you guys and gals enough. I rath three NMs today with three officers, died on More than a couple bosses but not once did I hear a gripe, though god only know what happens in O chat. ;p

This is long winded but in the end I mean to say this. The spirit you are looking to foster sure seems to have taken root and I applaud the effort you have put in to get there. I ran a guild on WoW for three years with more than 300 players and that was exhausting. Whoever is running this thing is doing a great job!

Keep it up!

Kurt

"We don't Sow Muh Fuckas! We just Reap!"

This is long winded but in the end I mean to say this. The spirit you are looking to foster sure seems to have taken root and I applaud the effort you have put in to get there. I ran a guild on WoW for three years with more than 300 players and that was exhausting. Whoever is running this thing is doing a great job!

Aw, shucks.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad you're liking the cabal. The officers really do put thought and effort into steering the good ship LoMS.

I feel this need a bump
Shouldn't this just be stickied? Honestly, I think this should be on the main page, above the CoC (since many people link directly to the CoC in chat links).
Anyway, very well stated, Beecher and definitely something worth hearing.

Shouldn't this just be stickied? Honestly, I think this should be on the main page, above the CoC (since many people link directly to the CoC in chat links).
Anyway, very well stated, Beecher and definitely something worth hearing.
Ask and ye shall receive.

Sticky sure, front page OK, above CoC..eh no please. I don't do scripts in chat, I ask people to come to this website to read it. Mostly so people know this site is here and how to get to it so they can be part of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
will keep bumping this until it become apparent that everyone has read it, reflected on it and applies it.

LoMS in my opinion is one of the most perfectly tuned groups tha I have ever played with in a MMO. While its not completely perfect (what is after all) I think that we nail the important things down and provide a friendly atmosphere for all of our members.

I'd like everyone to keep something in mind also. I believe LoMS is one of the largest, if not THE largest, cabal/unified group in TSW today. That says a lot and it puts a lot on our leaders and officers to keep things running smoothly. All that being said I have to say I believe that all of them have performed above and beyond anything that could possibly be expected. I'd thank all of you by name but honestly I'm sure I'd wind up leaving someone out, so I'll just give you all a big collective hug lol.

There are a ton of ways to mismanage this many people. I play with a guild in WoW right now that has over a thousand members and while its pretty friendly it isn't what I would call close knit. What LoMS manages to do is take mega numbers and knit them together through being friendly and more importantly being willing to help each other gear and get to that end-game point. Beecher said it all pretty well, sorry that I was so wordy in my response :D

On Sunday I signed up for the Trans Lairs. I saw in LoMS chat that optimal gear for the lairs would be q10. I then felt bad that I signed up with such low gear as I was in half q8 so then I messaged Fairy that I was in q8 and that I would be unable to attend...... the response I got back was a raid invite. I think as long as people are honest and respectful they will find a place in LoMS. You guys are truely fun people to play with and I am glad I made LoMS my home in TSW.

Badinnuendo

Saw this and wanted to throw a tupence at it. I was directed to this Cabal by a fella not even IN it because he saw me looking for a beginner NM right after I took down GK for the first time. I was looking for a "Fast NM" because I had a little over an hour of play time until I caught family aggro. He and I chatted a bit about how when people are looking for a "Fast NM" they usually won't even think about a fella like me who was in all blues with signets missing. But he said "Hey, what part of the world are you in? You should really check out LoMS! They know what they are doing and you'll find it so much easier to run Cabal NMs than PuGs."

That guy couldn't be more right. I have a really deep friends list full of spectacular players who have always been there for elites or questing and would have sneaked into a NM or two I didn't belong in but this is by far the easiest going group of people I have met to date on this game and I can't thank you guys and gals enough. I rath three NMs today with three officers, died on More than a couple bosses but not once did I hear a gripe, though god only know what happens in O chat. ;p

Keep it up!

Kurt

"We don't Sow Muh Fuckas! We just Reap!"

Can't agree more. I'm pretty new in LoMS but have to say that I love lomsters!

Dast

Is this a thread necro'd? Oh well. I'll throw my thoughts in either way.

Im failrly new in LOMS. Been here for a while but dont get involved nearly as much as many others. I'm the type of player that makes it really difficult for a cabal to have. I cannot play TSW often, during the weekedays just an hour here and there. On the weekends, I have big chunks of time and try and fit in as much as I can during that period. However, even that is sporatic. Beause of this My stats suffer, my equipment suffers, and my contributions to the cabal suffer. Probably a lot of players are like that. So I'll forever be a noob in this game in that its not likely that I'll gain parity with the most active players, and I'm ok with that.
I don't expect the upper echelons of the org to cater to me when I want to do a Lair, or try out a NM dungeon, or need assistance with something. I'm grateful when I can be included, but I understand when its not right. So those of you who have suffered with having riverrock on your team, I thank you for the sacrifices you've already made.

I'd also like to say is that something I value from LOMS is simply being able to enter the chat and saying hello and being included in the ongoing banter. There's nothing worse for a member than feeling like he's not part of the clique. I don't really experience much of that at all in LOMS, and its good that this thread is here and everyone is aware of what to be conscious of.

The+hell..+This+is+ancient..+why+would+you+_7253d7434588315b05cd8a0b718fee83.jpg

This is the first MMO (TSW) that I have ever played. When I began, I just fumbled my way through, experimenting, trying pvp to get my build up, moving forward but in hind sight, not in a very productive manner.

I spent almost a good 6 months bouncing from one cabal to another, trying to improve and find a group that would help ne grow. In the end I just found a few friends who helped me work through some of my basic issues. It got ne on the right track but still I was not getting to where I wanted to be.

Then I stumbled upon LoMS. I have never met a better group of dedicated, fun, intelligent and helpful ppl online in anything ive done before. From the amazing teams helping with Karma Curios', answers that are generally immediate to questions on builds, locatons, tactics or whatever. And the general comradeship snd never give up never surrender attitude when tackling even the hardest of tasks. LoMS members are thee for you.

I have grown so much in the few months I have been here. I can't imagine what I would br like if id joined when I started.

The Slayers rock.

Thank you yo each and every one of you.

DM.

p.s. I hope this reads ok. I wrote it walking home in the rain.

Back