• Season 2 of Secret World Legends is now live with Dawn of the Morninglight!

Please avoid posting any story spoilers on the forums. If you must share info or ask for help with a mission, be sure to use a [spoiler] tag!

Shopping for a new gaming PC

Beecher

LoMS Staff Member
Officer
So my dear Blackbird is on it's last legs. (Wings?) It's been kick ass for 8 years but it's time I put it out to pasture.

Any recommendations? I really don't feel like building another machine this time around.

Part of me wants this: Best Custom All-in-One Gaming Desktop | Aura | Digital Storm because it looks so freaking awesome. Does anyone have experience with an all-in-one gaming PC? Is it better on paper than in actuality?

Well...it IS pretty... LOL It will have ALL THE CATFUR!

I've never bought an all in one gaming PC myself, but I would be careful with something like this, cause looking good doesn't always translate to practicality, make sure you are getting what you want and need out of it. Especially if you want it to last for a while.

All-in-ones typically use mobile graphics cards to account for space and heat limitations, meaning you're going to get a laptop-quality GPU in a desktop-class computer.

Have you considered building your own PC? I know it seems like a daunting task, but it's really pretty simple to do these days.

I am a big fan of building them myself but with the wonky prices of video cards this isn't the bestest time to build tbh. While I normally would be quite dubious of a all in one thing this one looks fairly decent and I like that it fully upgrade-able.

That said they are quite expensive so I dunno, definitely get in touch with them for more information. One thing I might avoid is paying for the K version of chips as I really don't see this thing having any headroom for overclocking.

All-in-ones typically use mobile graphics cards to account for space and heat limitations, meaning you're going to get a laptop-quality GPU in a desktop-class computer.

Have you considered building your own PC? I know it seems like a daunting task, but it's really pretty simple to do these days.

I built my last one. I'm just feeling lazy at the moment.

Beecher the Aura looks very cool. And they're saying it's fully upgradable and includes a normal desktop GPU so its performance should be great.

In general I don't go with all-in-one because of the price. You'll be paying a steep premium compared to what you can build on your own. If you think the premium is justified by the unique design and the convenience factor of having everything neat (no box on the floor), I'd go with it.

That does look nice but I want a big ass monitor. The older I get, the less I like laptop screens.

Understood. Same reason I refuse to get a "smart"phone. Tiny screen isn't good for much. My last laptop was a 17 inch, but it didn't have anywhere near the specs of this one. I figured I could live with the trade off of 1.4 inches of screen space for more power.

Somewhat off-topic, but I got a Microsoft Surface Book through work and it's a beast of a computer. Comes with a 6GB GTX 1060Ti GPU. Bit expensive for the model I have but it's seriously one of the best laptops I've ever used.

Somewhat off-topic, but I got a Microsoft Surface Book through work and it's a beast of a computer. Comes with a 6GB GTX 1060Ti GPU. Bit expensive for the model I have but it's seriously one of the best laptops I've ever used.

I have a Surface Book for work, the one with 2 GB GTX 965M. It's about a year old now. I LOVE it.

Fleta has the same model and it can run SWL fairly well.

I've been needing to at least upgrade my gpu for a while, but with prices as high as they are it's can sometimes be the same price for me to buy either a 1080 or to buy a prebuilt gaming rig. It's pretty stupid.

If gpu prices were closer to suggested retail I'd say build your own, as it is, I'd be looking for deals on prebuilt stuff. My current rig is probably about 8 years old now and has been doing well as long as I upgrade it well, I got it from iBuyPower. Idk if I'd go with an all in one, as I'd worry about not being able to upgrade it myself, but if this one is fully upgradeable it might not matter. It does look really nice, though.

I ended up ordering the all-in-one.

Aaaand the chassis is out of stock. :( They're telling me mid-April for delivery. I'm trying to be patient. So far the customer service has been really excellent. They called to give me the bad news about the parts and sounded far more upset than me.

Well, it arrived. I set it up this morning and the monitor was cracked. So back it goes.

It seems like they discontinued the all-in-one. I'm thinking I'll ask for a refund and just go with a boring old tower pc.

Back