• Season 2 of Secret World Legends is now live with Dawn of the Morninglight!

Please avoid posting any story spoilers on the forums. If you must share info or ask for help with a mission, be sure to use a [spoiler] tag!

Sale of Funcom..

Coyaga

LoMS Member
Donator
With the purchase of 100% of Funcoms shares by Tencent seemingly soon to be a done deal, what does everyone think it will mean for TSW/SWL (& Age of Conan too).

It looks like main focus now will be Exiles & the new Dune mmo.
EDIT: Seems the Dune project is a survival game in the same vein as Exiles.

So what hope for SWL/AoC now?
In Tencents shoes I wouldn't be prepared to fund servers for "maintenance mode" games. (lets assume there is very little profit to be made in 2020)

So imo, 2 options, close the servers or produce new content.

Does anyone think the later is a possibility?
Are there any Devs actively involved with the games these days?
I know very little of Tencent cept they are Chinese, are they likely to fund new content?

Will be a sad day when Funcom are no longer independent, the end of an era....

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Beats me. It wouldn't be a crass financial decision, though. Servers and maintenance costs little enough that it's more than covered with whatever the game brings in at current levels. It could go on just as now. Question is if there'll be a new leadership appointed, and if their remit will be maximise profits for shareholders at the cost of shutting down the games. I guess we'll see :confused:

Last edited:
So here's how I see it:

They have let all the developers that know anything about the game go. They let the chief writer go...which pretty much means that there really isn't hope for new content. TSW is an incredibly complex and nuanced story and new content from someone that is not heavily involved with the story already would not be enjoyable to the loyal player base. I believe that the conversion to SWL was a last ditch effort for a cash grab. And at this point, I would suspect that they will shut it down. Maybe not right away but sooner rather than later.

My honest hope is that they allow the use of IP for other things like books.

*sigh* There are devs working on SWL. And they are long term devs involved in other games as well. The main reason for nothing big happening in the last year was all ressources got rerouted to finish Moons and make it canon.

Afaik they have already written story that's not yet implemented and Josh is not off the planet. They hired him for Moons and he would happily continue work on the ip if needed.
But yes, the team is small and content takes time. So they focus on stuff most players play and stuff that has replayability.

Nobody knows if Tencent will actively influence the crew. They have been the biggest share holder for some time now without any notable changes. We'll see. But i will not spend my time being a pessimist about everything, because that will not help anybody.

Back