• Season 2 of Secret World Legends is now live with Dawn of the Morninglight!

Please avoid posting any story spoilers on the forums. If you must share info or ask for help with a mission, be sure to use a [spoiler] tag!

POE Problems with redshell.dll file (

Zedman

LoMS Member
Lately I've started to have problems with something called the redshell.dll file. I'll be playing away no problem, but when I come back to my PC after a break and restart the game, I get a message that my redshell.dll file is either corrupt or not compatible with Windows. Well... it was just fine a few hours ago, so I don't know why it isn't anymore. The only way I've been able to get back into the game is to download it again, which I've had to do 3-4 times in the past two weeks (doing it right now as a matter of fact). It takes about 6 hours to download, so it pretty much puts me out of commission for a day and into bad humour. Does anyone else experience this problem, or have some kind of solution? This time, I'm going to copy the new redshell.dll file and paste it where I can overwrite any that get corrupted in the future. Maybe that will save me another freaking download.

Well... I hope you all have fun tonight. I'm gonna flip over to my AoC account for a bit, and see if I can stay awake for a few boring raid finders (sigh)....

Symm's solution may be more permanent. Or you could keep a separate copy of the file in your computer, so you don't have to download the whole game every time. Just replace the actual file with the copy when it complains. Not the best but may help coming back more quickly.

Thanks for the suggestions... Not playing via Steam, and yes, has only happened with SWL. I play Funcom's AoC and Anarchy Online and never once happened with those games, nor with countless other MMOs that I've tried now and again. Will look at Sym's suggestion, but meanwhile have already copied the .dll and have it ready if needed.

If the game still complains of it being corrupted even though you replced redshell.dll with a fresh copy, it may indicate that it actually not corrupted, but something in the database. In which case rebuilding the database may help. Rebuilding the database with some regularity is not a bad idea anyway. I do it myself every three months or so. Cleans the sinuses :p

The launcher in AoC has an option to do this... but don't see such an option in SWL launcher. How do you do this?

Back