• Season 2 of Secret World Legends is now live with Dawn of the Morninglight!

Please avoid posting any story spoilers on the forums. If you must share info or ask for help with a mission, be sure to use a [spoiler] tag!

Neverwinter NWO Ecomony Bombed

Mikunawa

Staff member
Donator
In case people haven't seen it yet, the Neverwinter Online's AH have a bug that allowed people to buy things from the AH with negative bids, so not only did they get the items they also got the AD. Right now the AH and Gateway is offline it seems and Zen prices are back to 500 AD.

The lack of common sense of the typical player is astonishing.
Someone posted the exploit on the forums (doh #1) and as soon as people saw that they went online to try it (doh #2) not with low values but rather with values on the high millions (doh #3).
PW noticed it and said they were going to take action so everyone rushed to spend the ADs and trade them for Zen. Zen exchange tanked in minutes and there were people everywhere selling cats (and other Zen/AD bought items) for gold. And people were making lines to buy those (doh #4).

I'm sure there's more Doh's in between, but those are enough.

Cataclysmic event, no doubt. People were saying that they'd leave if there was a wipe. People were saying that they'd leave if there wasn't a wipe.
If they banned everyone that used the exploit, I imagine that around half of all players logged at that time are now banned, judging by the chat that was going on PE when that was happening.
I went to check the AH just to see how bad stuff was getting, and there were pages and pages... and pages of auctions bidded with negative millions. All ending auctions were hit by the exploiters.

Sad... just damn sad.

from post I saw, they are banning people so that's good

Banning people on a free game is just saying they are deleting their characters. It's above easy to just create a new account.
Any smart exploiter would already have multiple accounts and had their exploited ADs and/or ad bought items transfered to those.

With the 7h rollback it might make most of those transfers moot, but note that this exploit is being used for a long time. It just went viral yesterday.

With the amount of exploits that have came and gone since Open Beta started, the ingame economy is a growing ClusterF**k.

This is the reason why most games do server wipes at the end of betas. But not PW, no...
Funny thing is that they keep using the "open beta" card to explain downtimes and bugs, yet a beta is supposed to be used to find bugs (aka: try to exploit us so we can fix it).
Banning people for doing that, because there will be no wipes, reveals a very shady strategy from PW.

*shrug* I don't really care, but in a general sense, I don't think that this is a good/trusty business approach for any kind of business.

beta or no beta when people intentionally do exploits such as this its not in the terms of testing its pure exploiting and they should be banned lol

"Any smart exploiter would already have multiple accounts and had their exploited ADs and/or ad bought items transfered to those" but they have logs showing all those transactions so we'll see

Whatever the outcome is for the exploiters and non exploiters, this was quite a hit for the game and it's community.

The way I see it, the ingame economy and community, after this and other exploits, will take a long time to recover. Not just because of the obvious outcomes but also the "personal" factor to it.
If they banned everyone that used the exploit, I suspect that there are hundreds, if not thousands of bans just because those last 7h.
Repercussion on this kind of things are also seen on the trust that players will deposit on the system itself.

The game is good, but not so unique as they want to make it and it's quite new. This kind of things are easily recoverable on long term games, but let's see how a game that still claims to be on beta but with no wipes will react to it.

IMO, PW should just make a new shard to smooth the sharp edges seen by some players. Although they plan on a single server system, that would at least for some time, calm down some outrages.

Back