• Season 2 of Secret World Legends is now live with Dawn of the Morninglight!

Please avoid posting any story spoilers on the forums. If you must share info or ask for help with a mission, be sure to use a [spoiler] tag!

Other Games Elite: Dangerous

Queex

LoMS Member
Anyone else in the beta or gearing up to play in general release?

There looks to be a function to set up friends groups, and a LoMS branch would be a delightfully anachronistic addition.

At least, until Thargoids make an appearance, when we could live up to your names.

If the full name doesn't really make sense with the type of game it is perhaps a shorted version, Maybe "The League of Slayers" or just "The League" ? (As of now I have no plans to play, just trying to be helpful)

See a lot of youtube's about the game but it miss the "I just need to be a part of this universe" feeling as StarCitizen dose to me.

I have Elite dangerous beta, only played 10 mins (couple of the tutorials), but definitely gets you into wanting to play the game.

True.
Seen a lot of ED video's from Scott Manley on Youtube, but don't get the feeling that I just need to play/have it.

Playing Elite : Dangerous for the last few days. My thoughts:

I've been playing it for the last few days. Pretty good all around. I've been playing as a trader and doing ok.
Definitely sandbox, no story anywhere to be seen. Seems like you can freely swap between trading, and fighting (to collect bounties, be a mercenary, a pirate, etc). Mining is not available right now as far as I can tell.
Different ships lend themselves to differing roles nicely and you can have multiple ships. You can upgrade individual ship components, though there are limits.
Controls can be a bit annoying. Flight controls use asdw and mouse, while textual control panels use asdw (and if you use the mouse, it will send you into a spin). Finally there are some textual controls that allow for a mouse(market place, galactic map).
Visually it does very well, though there is a tendency to reuse the space station types.
Downsides... sometimes it takes a very long time to get to places. Jumping between systems drops you at the primary sun for the system. Then you have to hypserspace over to the station you want to deal with. One of the systems I have to deal with has two suns, and they are not anywhere close to one another... stopped trading there because of the time investment.
Interdiction... So NPCs and PCs can stop you while you are in hyperspace between ports. When this happens there is a minigame where you must point your ship in the right direction long enough to escape. If you don't you are dropped out of warp, and likely attacked. Annoying but I can see the PVP needs for it. Just means I can't top off my drink while going on a long trek.
I also don't like the fact that when I go to undock it must spin my transport pad around for me although there really is no call for it.

Overall a game you should play if you like space games like Descent, Wing Commander, Freelancer, EVE Online, you will likely enjoy this.
I think Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous are going to be two very good games, for different reasons.

Also you pay for Elite once with some additional micro purchases like skins for your ships etc. No subscription as yet.

I find the controls to be a bit frustrating, using a joypad the X axis can either roll or yaw your ship depending on what it feels like at the time. If it would make its mind up and stick to it, it'd be easier. Also yaw doesn't seem to be as effective as rolling and pitching to reach your target, however it can be frustrating to roll and pitch all the time.

20141223_200655.jpg

seems to be working pretty well so ingame so far :p

I've set up a group called 'Queex' - mostly for facebook friends but I'm happy for it to be an unofficial LoMS group as well.

I've still been thoroughly enjoying it. Got to grips with pirate hunting today, although I'm a strict keyboard player. That deluse setup does fill me with jealousy, though.

Interdiction... So NPCs and PCs can stop you while you are in hyperspace between ports. When this happens there is a minigame where you must point your ship in the right direction long enough to escape. If you don't you are dropped out of warp, and likely attacked. Annoying but I can see the PVP needs for it. Just means I can't top off my drink while going on a long trek.
This part is one of the reason I'm not going to play ED

This part is one of the reason I'm not going to play ED
Its not overly annoying. I played a lot last night, did about 20 trade runs, and was only interdicted three times. I escaped without incident from all of them. One was really scary in the fact that I saw this really lucrative run, so I sold off my shield generators for the extra four holds I could put in there. I *really* couldn't afford to get caught on that one.

Xenthal: You liking that X55? I am considering them or the HOTAS Warthog but don't want to spend the $$$ on the warthog.

Xenthal: You liking that X55? I am considering them or the HOTAS Warthog but don't want to spend the $$$ on the warthog.
absolutely loving it, loads of precision and it feels like its perfectly made for the game

Finally got the hang on the traveling etc and doing good now made about 25k credits so far lol, on my way to a new ship!

My pilots name is Xenthal btw if anyone ever wants to group up or however thats handled in this game :p

There are friends requests, but I don't know if they affect how likely you are to end up in the same instance as someone else. There's also 'private group' play, where you ask to join a private group and, presumably, get to play in a universe where people in that group are the only PCs. Everyone's free to join my group 'Queex', to see if I can get enough of a critical mass that we might actually be close to one another.

Getting harried by pirates has always been part of Eilte, though. If anything, ED is a lot more generous than the original. You'd have to fight off a dozen groups of pirates getting to the station in an anarchy system.

Now I've got into a Lakon Type-6, I can't really duke it out with them. The best approach I've found is to submit to interdiction, then boost away and re-enter supercruise as soon as possible. Saves on repair bills and they can't get through my shields in the time they have. I can't fully upgrade the cargo holds without ruining my jump range and realspace speed, and that's even before the amount of working capital I'm going to need.

Back